Green Gram/ Cherupayar is very nutritious food rich in protein and is very good to include it in the diet of pregnant, breast- feeding moms, kids and sick people. I was down with flu last week and I craved for some kanji and cherupayar thoran. This recipe is also a very easy and quick recipe to make when we are sick and we don't have much energy to cook.
1) Green Gram/ Cherupayar- 1 cup
2) Grated coconut - 3/4-1 cup
3) Shallot - 3-4
4) Garlic - 3 cloves
5) Green chilly -2
6) Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
7) Pepper Powder - 1/2-1 tsp
8) Red chilly (optional)
10) Mustard seeds
- Soak Green gram / cherupayar in water overnight or 3-4 hours.
- Pressure cook Green gram / Cherupayar with enough water (water covering green gram) for 3-4 whistles.
- Grind gently Grated coconut, Garlic, Shallot, Green chilly, Turmeric powder.
- Add it to cooked green gram. Add salt. Cover it and cook for 1 min.
- Remover the cover and mix well.
- Heat oil in large pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it starts spluttering, add curry leaves and red chilly.Saute.
- Add Green gram, Pepper powder and adjust the salt. Mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 min , stir ring occasionally. Remove from flame.