Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pineapple Payasam

Pineapple Payasam
serve- 5-10 persons




This dessert is something I made more than a dozen times and still makes because my son loves it. He calls it "Ammaamma's Ball Payasam ". My mother used to make it for him while he was in India. It was during my college days I first tried this recipe. I am a big fan of "Milkmaid". Milkmaid Recipe Book was the first recipe book I owned. Milkmaid recipes are something and might be the only one recipes I used to try during my school vacations.  Because I get to lick the Milkmaid tin after that.Once "Milkmaid" conducted a "Cooking Contest" in our college and they promised prizes for all participants. "Prize for all participants" that was something that drew my interest to the contest and second reason was that I could bunk my 2 hour class. I came home and was discussing with my mom about the recipes and my aunt suggested this recipe to me. When she reached her home she was kind enough to call and explain the recipe. I reached the college with my dish and found out that I am the only Pre-degree student and rest all were seniors that too Degree Homescience Students.   I was cursing the moment that I decided to join this competition. Well, in Malayalam (my mother tongue) there is a saying , "one mistake any policeman can make". This is what I usually say after I jump into some trouble."Anyone can have one mistake, right? " Then my family & friends tells me sarcastically ,"Yes, yes ...one mistake". 


Finally Judges arrived. And they started announcing the prizes. First they announced consolation prizes . I waited and waited for my name. What happened? They missed my name? Then came 3rd prize. Not my name. Oh! God, What is happening?   2nd prize. Not my name.... My heart started to beat. 1st prize.....Rosy Thomas. "Oh! My God, Is it a dream."


So, friends this is a recipe worth trying. Even a person like me who used to enter kitchen very rarely (Before Marriage) won the prize. Here goes, the recipe:


Ingredients:
Milkmaid (Condensed Milk) - 1 tin
Milk - 1 litre
Sago (sabuthana) -200 gm
Sugar - 5 tbsp
Chopped Pineapple - 1 cup
Vanilla essence - to taste


Method:
  • Heat the sago in a pan. When it is warm, add it to boiling water. Cook it till it is transparent. Drain the water and  pour cool water so that balls wont stick together. Drain it.
  • Cook the pineapple with half the sugar and cool well at room temp.
  • Boil the milk. Add Milkmaid to it. Stir for 2-3 min. Add cooked sago and remaining sugar to it.Stir it until it reaches desired consistency. Cool well at room temp.
  • When it is cooled, mix the pineapple to it. Add vanilla essence. 
  • Chill it.
Note: Condensed Milk and evaporated milk are not the same thing. They are different.
Serve- 5-10 persons
Source: Premyaunty

4 comments:

  1. an excellent dessert, this is the first time I am seeing a recipe for pineapple payasam, and I tried. It has got the flavour of the pineapple and it is so good that I could impress a bunch of guests.. Everybody should definitely try this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, friend for letting me know !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much the detailed process... I never get the rt consistency of sago!!!I usually mke pineple payasam with semiya ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome. Sometimes even I have trouble with sago.

    ReplyDelete

Readers, waiting to hear from you ! Your questions, comments, suggestions are always welcome....