Uppuma is a healthy, tasty and easy South Indian Vegetarian Breakfast. Some people have it for dinner too. I usually make it for breakfast and serve it with banana. I add plenty of vegetables, nuts etc to get the maximum nutrients and vitamins as possible from one meal. Here goes my version of Uppuma. It is a combination of vegetables likes carrot, beans and nuts like almonds and peanuts. You can avoid nuts if one of your family member is allergic to nuts.
1) Uppuma Rava / Roasted Rava/ sooji / semolina - 1 1/2 cup
2) Sliced Onion - 1/2
3) Chopped Ginger- 1 small piece
4) Green chilly -2
5) Toor dal - 1 hand full
6) Chopped carrot- 2
7) Chopped Beans- 4-5
8) Sliced Almonds - 1 small hand
9) Roasted Peanuts- 1 small hand
10) Water - 2- 21/2 cup
11) Oil/ butter
13) Curry leaves
14) Mustard seeds
- Heat oil/butter in a large pan. Add mustard seeds. After the mustard seeds popped up, add onions, ginger, green chilly, toor dal and curry leaves. Saute well.
- When the onion become transparent and starts turning brown add the vegetables and nuts. Saute well. Cover the pan for 1 minute.
- Remove the lid and add water and salt. When the water comes to boil, add rava. Mix well. Cover the pan. Open it and stir occasionally. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove the lid and stir. Remove from the flame.