Kovakka / Tindora / Ivy Gourd is a tropical vine and the vegetable is a good source of several micro-nutrients , including Vitamin A and beta-carotene. It also has lot of medicinal value and it is used in Ayurveda in the treatment of many diseases. Recent studies shows that it helps in regulating blood sugar level and so it is now sometimes prescribed to diabetic patients. So, diabetic patients crunch some Ivy Gourd daily or use it in the curry like this instead of drinking Bitter-Gourd juices.
1) Tindora / Kovakkai / Ivy Gourd - 1/2 kg (Cut lengthwise)
2) Green Chilly- 4 ( Slit lengthwise)
3) Sliced Onion- 1/2
4) Pepper powder - 1 tsp
5) Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
6) Mustard seeds
7) Curry leaves
- Mix with hands the Kovakkai / Tindora with turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot, add mustard seeds. After it popped up add onions,green chilly, curry leaves.
- When the onions starts turning brown, add the pepper powder. Saute. Add Tindora/ Ivy Gourd / Kovakka. Saute well. Cover with lid. Remove the lid and stir occasionally. Tindora will start loosing its texture. Cook it till it gets wrinkled up and starts turning black. (check the pic).