Thursday, March 8, 2012

Prawns Pattichu ullathiyathu

Last Saturday while I was doing my week-end grocery shopping I found some prawns on sale. It is being a long time since I tried some prawn dish. Besides my eldest son likes "Lobster"  which he calls "konchu meen" . I brought some uncleaned prawns because it didn't look like the frozen ones we always get it here. Anyway I wont buy anymore uncleaned prawns  till my sons grew up. It took me hours to clean 4 Lb prawns alone. Any way here goes the recipe.



Ingredients:
1)Prawns (uncleaned) - 4 Lb  (after cleaning approx 3 Lb)
2)Pepper Powder - 3/4 tbsp
3)Small Onions (Chopped) - 4
4)Crushed Red Chilly - 1 tbsp
5)Garlic- 3-4
6)Ginger - 1 piece
7)Kudompuli - 3-4 ( take 1/4 cup hot water and put washed kudompuli into it.)
8)Sliced coconut- 1/4-1/2 cup
9)Turmeric powder - 1 tsp (in this recipe I put less. so color didn't come as I wished)
10) Red chilly powder (optional) - 1/2 tsp
11)Curry Leaves
12) Salt


Method:

  • In a sauce pan, cook all these ingredients with some water. When the water dries out and the prawns are cooked, off the flame.
  • In a large pan heat oil and add curry leaves. Add the cooked prawns and saute really well.

Recipe Source: my mother


Note for beginners:
How to clean prawns:
Peel of head and tail with your fingers. Make a small cut and take the black thread like thing out. Rinse well with water.

This dish goes well with rice and kachi moru.

Prawns Pattichu Ulathiyathu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, waiting to hear from you ! Your questions, comments, suggestions are always welcome....