Vazhachundu / Vazhapoo / Banana flower cutlet is a very simple and healthy recipe. In this recipe I didn't use too much ingredients. I just used the basic ingredients needed for making the cutlet.When you want a change in your daily menu try this. I tried to make it healthy as possible. Even the frying part. I used "grape seed oil" for frying. It is the most healthiest oil ideal for frying and has light taste. Cutlet can be served with rice or can be eaten at snack time.
Number of cutlets- 8-10
Chundu/ Banana flower/ Banana Blossom -1
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Gram Masala - 1/2-3/4 tsp
Green Chilly -3
Ginger - 1 piece
Potato - 1
Bread crumbs- 1/2 cup
- Peel off the outer layers of the chundu / Banana flower and chop the inner layer nicely.
- Put it in starch water of rice ( kanji velam ) or diluted buttermilk and rinse well. (When I don't have buttermilk or kanji velam I just rinse it in water.)
- Cook the potato in a sauce pan with enough water. Peel off the skin.
- Chop onion, green chilly, ginger and curry leaves in a chopper or by hand.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onion, green chilly, ginger and curry leaves.
- When the onion becomes transparent, add the chopped and drained chundu / banana flower, gram masala, turmeric powder and salt. Mix it. Cover and cook. Switch off the flame when it is cooked well.
- Add the mashed potato into it. Mix well.
- Shape it into cutlet.
- Beat one egg. Dip the cutlet into egg and then roll it in bread crumbs. Shape it.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry the cutlet on both sides.
Source: My mother