Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fish and Raw Mango Curry / Meen-Manga Char

This is a very easy fish recipe. Last week my friend, "M.." brought me a "fish-mango curry" she made it using her grandmother's recipe. This reminded me of one of my family recipe. I leafed through my hand written recipe book and found it at last. Last sunday my husband brought some fish and I made this curry. 



Ingredients:
1) Fish - 3  LB ( I used 2 striped bass) (Cut it into 3-4 pieces)
2) Raw Mango (Cut lengthwise) - 1
3) Salt
4) Water

To Grind
 Grated Coconut- 1 cup
 Garlic - 4-5 cloves
 Ginger - 1" piece
 Onion- 1/2
 Turmeric Powder- 1 Tsp
 Chilly Powder - 2 Tbsp

For Tempering:
Coconut Oil
Mustard Seeds- 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1-2 pinch
Pearl Onion (sliced) -2
Curry leaves

Method:

  • Add the grind ingredients to a clay pot/ pan. Add Water, Mango, Fish and Salt. 
  • When it starts boiling lower the flame. Cover and cook.
  • In a skillet, heat oil. When it is hot, add the mustard seeds and then Fenugreek seeds. When the mustard seeds stop popping, add  Onions. When it starts turning brown add the curry leaves. When the onion is browned add it to the fish.




Source: My mother

5 comments:

  1. I tried this fish and mango curry today..came out well..i didn't grind garlic..grind only coconut,small onion,ginger and chilly powder and turmeric..it was delicious..keep researching and post it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friend, Thanks for letting me know. will post new recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,tried this out and turned out yum!i only added a tbsp of red chilli btw,which i think was enuf for our taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for trying it out and letting me know the result.

    ReplyDelete

Readers, waiting to hear from you ! Your questions, comments, suggestions are always welcome....